Tuesday, September 15, 2009

In Full Bloom

It's funny how, being from North Dakota, I always look forward to the change of seasons. In the spring it's like torture waiting for that first 60 degree day to hurry up and arrive. At last, hibernation is over! Shedding the sweaters and opening up the windows, running to the greenhouses weeks before the ground is ready for planting, soooo excited for the sun and warmth and, of course, the flowers.
Now, as fall is well upon us, I'm totally over summer. I'm ready to welcome the crisp dry air of September again, the pumpkin carving, the smell of soup on the stove, my favorite blanket on a cool night. I'm restless for that change in the weather that always brings a new set of things to look forward to.
Having said that, I'm posting some pics of my favorite flowers from this year. While some of these blooms have faded now, when they were at their peak they were gorgeous and really brought a lot of beauty to our yard. As I prepare to prune back and dig out, it's fun to look at all the color that summer brought. I'm sure by next April I'll be just as eager to watch it unfold all over again.

As anyone who knows me will attest, these verbena are my pride and joy. They're so reliably stunning and reseed themselves like nothing I've ever seen. There's not a flower in the garden that the monarchs and bees go to more often. I shared some seedlings with my neighbor across the street, who is now equally as much of a fan.

This Raspberry Wine Monarda was sooooo amazing! A gift from my friend and fellow gardener, Beth, it is by far my favorite of the Monardas that I have. Unlike my other 2 varieties (lavender and darker lavender) this one seems much more resistant to mold. Also, the bees were nuts about it. Lots of questions about this guy from passersby.
Johnnny took this picture of our vegetable garden zinnias in early August. They were so fantastic and are still blooming like crazy even now. The butterflies and bees really liked them, but now they have stiff competition from 2 very territorial hummingbirds. I've loved having the bouquets of cut flowers all summer. That I will miss for sure.
These 2 perennials are so fun together...on the left, the Globe Thistle is such a different bloom. It's fun to watch it flower with those lovely blue frond-like petals. On the right, the Rudbeckia was a big punch of color that was much needed in this bed. These flowers have stayed on and on and are still quite dramatic.

Finally, a favorite new find - also from Beth! (Note to self: find cool flowers to share with Beth next year). In the front of this pic are California Poppies grown from seed. They're great because they love to grow in the worst possible soil. Don't we all have some of those spots? These were super prolific until I got a little lazy and fell behind on my dead-heading. I'll definitely be using them again, though. Their neon orange-yellow color is an awesome pop anywhere you put them!

I hope everyone has had a wonderful summer and that you're looking forward to fall too. I think part of the reason I welcome the cool and then the cold and then the frigid is because at the end of that frozen tunnel there is the inevitable light of spring and gardening season once more. I think I appreciate it more because it never lasts, and that's part of what's so great about living in North Dakota. Yeah, call me in February.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yellows and blues/purples are one of my favorite combos in the garden!

Beth said...

Kit - thanks for the shout out on your blog (blushing).... All of your flowers look great! Your California poppies did much better than mine but my raspberry monarda did equally well. They are THE BEST monarda in my opinion too. Love, love, love them.

I'm with you on the summer. This recent hot weather is just enough to make me crabby. I want cool weather, sweaters, and snuggled up with my blanket and my dog to watch a football game. And of course - with my family! :O)

How was the Ani concert?

Johnnny said...

One of the funnest things about having flower gardens, and now a vegarden, is seeing the daily changes in the plants and their visitors. Those butterflies and hummingbirds are so entertaining, not to mention the partridge. Then there's the yearly cycle. I too love the changing of the seasons. Mowing in the summer, raking in the fall, shoveling in the winter, and planting in the spring.

Kit said...

Peggy: Thanks for visiting! I agree, love the yellow combined with blue/purple. My husband likes to imagine that we're paying homage to the Minnesota Vikings. You make the call. :)

Beth: Ani was really fun, although she insisted on going political which always bugs me when I pay to hear someone perform. While she's still one of my faves, I admit that I was a little peeved by the hard liberal line she was pushing. She's still a fantastic performer, but c'mon, drop the lecturing.

I'm moving half of that Raspberry monarda into the back bed and getting rid of the lavender one. Hopefully it'll spread back there, I just love it.

Johnnny: I like your new word vegarden. Thank goodness you like to mow, rake, and shovel as I, decidedly, do not.

Beth said...

I have a huge lawn to rake Johnnny. Just say the word - and I'll hand you a lawnbag and a underused rake.

Yeah, that would irk me too if a singer got all political. Years ago I went to see Ted Nugent (not on purpose - he was an opening act) and he was all NRA, anti-Clinton, etc..... There's just a time and place for that and it's not when I spent my hard-earned money to hear you sing songs. Shut up and do the job you're supposed to do - which is to perform!

There. I got it off my chest. :O)

Connie said...

Hi Kit, You have a very nice blog! I came by from Beth's. I am a N.Dak. native, now living happily ever after in Idaho. :-)
Your blooms are lovely. Verbena Bonariensis is also a favorite of mine as well as Ca. Poppies. They reseed everywhere in my garden, and mostly let them, because I love their cheerful sunny faces.

Kit said...

Hi Connie - Thanks for checking out my blog! I was wondering if those poppies would reseed themselves...I saved a bunch of seeds, but it sounds like I won't need them! I'll have to go see your site - so fun connecting with other gardeners!

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Hi;
I found your link on All Things Green Idaho and paid you a visit because, in real life, my name is Kit, has been all my life but I switched it to Kate for my blog.

This is so wild. I have never met another woman with the name Kit. And, now to discover that you're a North Dakotan - I'm from South Dakota. AND, you're in marketing. So am I.

Wow. Lots to digest for a Monday morning. I see that you haven't posted on your blog for some time so I hope you get this message... It's so nice to meet another woman with the name Kit. :)

ekdoele said...

Hey there, Kit. Just saw your blog via Johnny's AI blog. Am very impressed! Am hoping to get some planting tips from you soon as I look forward to tinkering in the yard more this spring/summer since I am more planted this year!